Halloween is next month and it’s time to start thinking about Halloween costumes. Who all dresses up in your family? Do you dress up your pets?
Our dog Piper is so funny about putting costumes or hats on. She just recently celebrated her second birthday and was not totally thrilled with wearing her party hat. Oddly enough she was patient today and let me measure her and try on this strawberry dog costume. Of course, lots of treats and the help of my husband helped!!!
Skill Level for this project: Beginner with basic sewing machine experience
Time to complete: 1 hour
You will need:
Kunin Classic Felt 36” x 36” craft cut in Pirate Green
Kunin Classic Felt 12” x 18” craft cut in Black (1)
Kunin Plush Felt 45” x 10 yards bolt cut in Cardinal Red (24” x 27”)
Sewing Machine with thread
1. Cut the Cardinal Red Plush felt to a 24” x 27”.
2. Fold the felt in half long ways and cut a rounded cut on one end so that once it’s unfolded it looks like a strawberry.
3. Cut Pirate Green felt into 4” x 9” rectangles using a cutting mat, cutting ruler and rotary cutter.
4. Using pinking shears, cut the rectangles to look like leaves.
5. Cut a strip of the Pirate Green felt into a 3” x 36” strip using the cutting mat, cutting ruler and rotary cutter.
6. Using straight pins, pin the 3” x 36” strip to the top of the “strawberry”.
7. Leaving about 9.5” on the ends of the green felt, sew the green felt to the red felt. TIP: Start stitching about 4 inches in on the red felt and end with about 4 inches unsewn on the other end.
8. Attach the leaves to the strip of green using straight pins. TIP: I tied the cape to Piper’s neck and carefully pinned the leaves in place.
9. Sew the leaves in place.
10. Hand cut the pieces for the strawberry seeds.
11. Using felt glue, glue the seeds in place on the strawberry.
12. Let the glue dry.
Then it was time to try it on!
Doesn’t Piper look adorable in her Strawberry Cape Dog Costume?! Hopefully she will actually wear it for Halloween and be Piper Straw-Berry!
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.