Halloween is the best time of year for actively pursuing imaginative play. With all of the costumes and excitement, be sure you include your dogs. This super hero cape is so crazy simple to make and can be fitted for any size dog. Truth is, it would work for cats , bunnies and guinea pigs too.
You will need the following supplies:
• 1 Yard Kunin Classicfelt in Color of your Choice
• 1-12” X 18” craft cut Kunin Premiumfelt in Color of Your Choice for Letter
• 1-12” x 18” craft cut Kunin Premiumfelt Sheet in Color of Your Choice for Star
• 1 yard of Wide (2 inch) Grosgrain Ribbon
• Sharp Scissors
• Permanent Marker
• Sewing Machine
1. Use your permanent marker to draw a large letter ‘S’ or whatever letter you want on your cape onto one of your sheets of premium felt. Cut the other in half and draw a star on one of the halves.
2. Cut the letter out and TWO stars which will use both halves of that cut sheet. Cut a large triangle the size of your dog’s back out of the yard of basic felt then cut the top of the triangle off five inches down from the tip. Sew your letter to the center of the large piece which is your cape.
3. Sew the ribbon centered across the top of the cape where you cut off the tip. You can fold the felt over the ribbon if you want to make it extra secure and more comfy for your dog.
4. Sew your two stars together on three of the points. Leave two points open to feed through the ribbon. When you tie the cape onto your dog’s neck, you will insert the star.
Scout is an Australian Shepherd. He was not totally excited about this project but really loved getting treats for trying it on.
Piper is a red bone coonhound and seemed to really enjoy the whole costume wearing thing. She wore it around for quite a while.
Isn’t she darling?
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Cheers to Dressing Up Dogs,