I am so excited to share a very fun “Llama Gift Bag” project with you today. I recently hosted a craft night at my studio and we made Llama-themed greeting cards, the crafters had a blast creating a llama made of felt pieces and scraps! This project is great for making a unique gift or party bag, or you can host a craft night of your own and enjoy the fun of coming up with new variations for this craft project.
Time: 1 Hour
Skill Level: Basic
Here is my supplies list for my “Llama Gift Bag”:
• 12” x 18” craft cut of Kunin Premiumfelt: 1 Copper Canyon – cut to 8.5” by 5.5”
• Kunin Classicfelt in Cashmere Tan for nose
• Kunin Classicfelt in Black for Eyes and Nose pieces
• Kunin Classicfelt in Orange for collar
• Kunin Classicfelt in Candy Pink for Inner Ears
• Expo International Pompom Fringe Trim (Lorelli 3/4)
• Gift Bag (8.5” by 5.25”)
• Fabric scissors (small and large)
• Rotary fabric cutter – to cut black and orange felt pieces
• Felt was cut with these Sizzix XL Dies:
o Laura Kelly for Ellison – Sand Dollar, Starfish & Shell (#A11154) for Nose
o Basic Shapes – Small circle for Eyes and Nose Pieces
• Hot glue gun and glue sticks
• Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue
• Buttons in green, blue, yellow and pink
You need to cut your felt pieces, here are the pieces you need:
• For the background – Cut a piece of Copper Canyon felt to 8.5” by 5.5”
• For the ears – cut 2 triangles of Copper Canyon
• For the inner ears – cut 2 smaller triangles
• For the eyes – die cut 2 black circles using the Basic Shapes Bigz die
• For the nose – die cut the nose piece in Cashmere Tan using the Laura Kelly Sand Dollar Bigz die
• For the nose pieces – use the remnant piece from the small circles for the 2 bottom portions of the nose, and you will also need to use a rotary trimmer and ruler to cut a thin piece of felt for the middle and top portions of the nose
• For the collar – you will need to use a rotary trimmer and ruler to cut a 1/2 inch piece of orange felt
You will need to glue all pieces of the Llama, I recommend that you use hot glue for these pieces:
• Large background piece to the bag
• Ears and inner ears
• Nose (large piece in Cashmere tan)
• Collar and pompom trim, once these are glued down you will need to trim the sides with a small pair of fabric scissors
After you have hot glued these pieces, now you should use Aleene’s Turbo Tacky to glue the following pieces:
• Small black pieces for the nose
After the tacky glue has dried – your project is done!
Thank you for visiting the Kunin Felt Blog. You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Happy Llama Crafting!
Owner of Create Studio Fresno & Founder of Crafty Happy Hour
You are invited to my studio in Fresno, California – stop by my studio, it is located at 1419 M Street in Downtown Fresno. It is open every month on First Thursday (5 pm – 8 pm) and Second Saturday (Noon to 4 pm). If you have family or friends in the area, please spread the word about my studio, we love new crafty friends!