All this month our Design Team has been sharing their pets in creative costumes for Halloween! I was lucky enough to have a visit from Mark, VP of Sales with Kunin and he brought along his two rescue pups, Rocky and Rosie. They both are super cute, and Rosie is quite the little lady! She was the perfect model for this quick and easy DIY Sunflower costume. Rosie sat quietly, had some special treats and had her fifteen minutes of fame while chewing on leaves in the garden!
Skill Level: Basic
Time: 1-2 hours
You will need:
9” x 12” craft cut of Kunin® Classicfelt: 1 Walnut Brown
1 yard of Kunin® Classicfelt: Gold
1 yard of ½” elastic
1 Child’s headband
Fabric adhesive, Fabri-tac by Beacon
Scissors, ruler, pins, brown marker.
1. Using photo as a guide cut two leaf shapes. TIP: Cut from cardstock so you can use pattern to draw around. Cut sixteen small leaves and twenty-eight large leaves.
2. Glue pairs of large leaves together leaving an opening ½” slit on each side of leaf at the lower edge. String leaves on to elastic.
OPTIONAL: Use marker to make center lines in leaves.
3. Cut elastic to fit pet’s neck size. Leaves will bunch up around neck to be fuller on a smaller dog.
4. Glue and pinch small leaves into curved shape as shown in photo.
5. Cut a 3” circle from the walnut felt to glue at center of headband. Begin gluing bottom layer of leaves to the circle side by side. Repeat with a second layer.
6. Cut a 2” by 12” strip from the walnut felt and fold in half. Cut from center out ¾” in a row of equal scissor snips. Roll and glue folded strip for center of flower.
7. Glue flower center to the middle of the sunflower headband.
This sunflower costume could be made into a daisy or gerbera daisy too, depending on the color of the felt you use! Rosie was a great model, thanks Rosie and Mark!
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Follow along with us on Instagram @kuninfeltbrand!