Happy Earth Day! I had a fun time coming up with this month’s craft project – signs that encourage saving energy and water. We need to make sure we treat the Earth well, so let’s make some crafts as friendly reminders of ways to conserve. I was excited to use the Kunin Premium Felt for the die cuts for these projects – let’s get started.
Here is my supplies list for my “Friendly Reminder Signs” for Earth Day:
(9” x 12” craft cuts used for each color)
- Kunin Classicfelt in Yellow
- Kunin Premiumfelt in Royal Blue (for “Turn off the lights” letters)
- Kunin Classicfelt in White (for Lightbulb)
- Kunin Classicfelt in Silver Grey (for base of Lightbulb)
- Kunin Classicfelt in Black (for Lightbulb accent)
- Kunin Premiumfelt in Pirate Green (for “Don’t Waste Water”)
- Kunin Premiumfelt in Red (for Toothbrush)
- Kunin ClassicFelt in White (for Toothbrush)
- Tulip Beads in a Bottle (or Tulip Puff Paint) – in White, Grey and Aqua
- 2 wood dowels
- Twine in white/black and white/red
- Sizzix Big Shot Die Cutting Machine
- Felt was cut with Sizzix XL Dies: Fresh Blossoms Alphabet by Stephanie Ackerman
- Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue
Begin by hand cutting your felt pieces for your sign. TIP: I cut the light bulb/base and the toothbrush/bristles freehand. I always cut larger and then trim down, cutting felt is so much fun – you get to be a creator of your own project! After your pieces are cut, you can then add your Tulip Beads in a Bottle (or puff paint) accents, and then set aside and let your hand cut pieces dry.
Die cut all of the pieces for the sign phrases using your Sizzix Big Shot with the Sizzix XL dies, arrange them and then adhere them to your single cuts of Classifelt. TIP: Don’t adhere them onto the background until you are positive on your final design, you can use tacky glue to adhere them. Tacky glue works better because it is easier to control on the die cut letters. Be sure on placement before your set your letter (with glue) down.
To create the banner sign, you will need to adhere 1 wood dowel to the top of the felt. The felt is not heavy, but the dowel will provide additional support to the sign. You can use tacky glue and place a strip across the top of the backside of the felt and then add the twine, then the dowel to the tacky glue strip. Add dowel to second sign.
Now it is time to be patient while the glue and puff paint dry. Once it dries, you can hang these signs in spots which will be reminders to everyone – to turn off lights when leaving a room, and to not waste water while brushing their teeth. The signs are a fun way to celebrate Earth Day and provide a way to teach kids about conservation too.
Thank you for visiting the Kunin Blog and have a great time crafting up some fun earth-friendly projects. You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Have a great Earth Day!
Owner of Mothership Scrapbook Gal
Founder of Crafty Happy Hour
One thought on “Earth Day Felt Friendly Reminder Signs”
This is the perfect reminder for every day!
Comments are closed.