Earth Day is a great time to teach your students the importance of the 3 R’s (Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle). However, it is also a great opportunity to explain to your students that Kunin Felt is made from recycled plastic bottles! These felt flowers can be perfectly paired with any container or recycled bottle, and they make a great spring centerpiece, too! Let’s grab our supplies and let’s get started!
You Will Need:
- 9″ x 12” craft cuts Kunin Classicfelt™ in Yellow, Ocean Blue, Pirate Green, Candy Pink, and Neon Green
- 9” x 12” craft cut of Kunin Corduroy™ in Candy Pink and Orange
- 9” x 12” craft cut of Kunin White Dot Coordinates™ in Candy Pink, Baby Pink, and Lagoon
- Adhesive (Hot glue and Felt glue)
- White cardstock
- Green pipe cleaners
- Glass milk bottle or other recycled container
- Ellison Superstar Machine
- Sizzix Bigz Die Set – Pet Shop Flashcards (4 Die Set) Item #A11056
- Sizzix Bigz Die – Circle 3″ Fraction 1/8 Item #A10208
- Sizzix Bigz Die Set – Badges (4 Die Set) Item #A11114
1. Using a variety of colors of 9″ x 12” craft cuts Kunin Classicfelt™, Kunin Corduroy™ felt, and Kunin White Dot Coordinates™ felt, creating these DIY felt flowers is easy! You can also use your Ellison Superstar Machine with a number of Ellison dies to add embellishments to your felt flowers, too! I used Laura Kelly’s Sizzix Bigz Die Set – Pet Shop Flashcards (4 Die Set) Item #A11056 for the vase of my flower and the Sizzix Bigz Die Set – Badges (4 Die Set) Item #A11114 to add embellishments to each vase.
2. After preparing your design and using a variety of colors of Kunin Felt, prepare each vase for assembly. Adhere each piece of felt onto your vase using felt glue or a hot glue gun.
3. I used my Ellison Superstar Machine and the Sizzix Bigz Die – Circle 3″ Fraction 1/8 Item #A10208 to die cut triangles of 9” x 12” craft cut of Kunin Corduroy™ in Candy Pink and Orange and 9″ x 12” craft cuts Kunin Classicfelt™ in Ocean Blue. Using hot glue or felt glue, adhere each triangle onto a piece of cardstock. Add a small circle to the center of your flower using Kunin Classicfelt™ in Yellow.
4. Flip your flower over and adhere a green pipe cleaner to the back of your flower using hot glue.
5. Adhere the other end of your pipe cleaner to the backside of your vase. Cut the remaining pipe cleaner off from the base of the vase.
6. Using a 9″ x 12” craft cut Kunin Classicfelt™ in Pirate Green, cut out a leaf and adhere to the stem of your flower. Adhere your DIY felt flower to a recycled container or milk glass.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.