Last week I shared my DIY reindeer wall canvas. This week more reindeer décor! I found and fell in love with a red and white reindeer ribbon. It changed the direction of my decorating slightly, the black standing reindeer felt canvas has now become a red reindeer leaping over rooftops. My other large canvas I covered and made a deer head. I think it is very striking in black and white.
The pattern for the deer head can be easily created from a copyright free template. I free handed this one using a pillow I have as a guide. The glitter snowflakes add a little dimension and sparkle.
Pillows, just use Prestofelt to cut out a shape and stick on an existing pillow. When the holidays are over just peel off the reindeer!
To create the deer head canvas and pillow silhouettes, snowflakes you will need:
- 9” x 12” craft cuts Kunin Eco-Fi™ Prestofelt™, 2 Red, 1 White
- 1 – 1 ½ yd cut by the yard Kunin Eco-FiPlus™ Premiumfelt™ , Black
- ½ yd cut by the yard Kunin Eco-FiPlus™ Premiumfelt™ , White
- Snowflake Die and Big Shot by Sizzix
- Beacon Fabri-tac Adhesive
- Scissors, ruler, chalk.
1. Measure canvas, cut a piece of felt 6” larger length and width wise. Place canvas right side down in center of felt. Cut out excess piece of felt in corners. Fold over top end to meet side fold over making a corner, glue. Repeat for all four corners.
2. Draw pattern and cut out from white felt. Cut antlers separately. Place head with antlers in position on felt canvas. Lift head and glue down. Glue antlers. Add snowflakes if desired.
3. I used a template found online to cut out two red reindeer for my existing hounds tooth pillows. I simply drew a pattern on the back of the Prestofelt, reversed for the second reindeer. Peel and stick.
4. I took some existing Shaggichic pillows I had made (tutorial found here http://kuninfelt.wpengine.com/2015/08/18/shaggichic-scotty-pillows/) and used this snowflake template from Sizzix to die cut snowflakes from Prestofelt. Simply peel and stick.
Here is my first canvas redone with the red reindeer. I used a large glitter reindeer purchased from a local dollar store as my pattern. Simply traced around it on to red Premiumfelt and cut out. Glued in place. After the holidays just slip the felt corners off of the canvas and store for next year. The Premiumfelt covers most canvas without the canvas design underneath showing through. If it is still showing from underneath place a piece of Bristol board on the front and then cover with the felt.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt; Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Thank you for stopping by!