By Julie McGuffee
No matter how far away you roam,
Wherever you hang your heart is home…
One of the most popular signs sold at craft fairs, craft shows and craft malls in the 80’s and early 90’s read “Home is Where the Heart Is”. It’s an old saying, but it’s as true today as it was back then.
Skill Level for this project: Beginner +
Time to complete: 3 hours
You will need:
• Kunin® Eco fi Classic Felt, 9” x 12” – Red, White & Royal Blue
• Cricut® Maker™ with Rotary blade
• Pink fabric mat
• Felt or tacky glue
• Polyester filler
• Gold cord
• Gold tassel
• 1/8” Pearl trim
• Thread – white, gold & royal blue
• Embroidery needle
• Copy paper
1. Create paper patterns for the red and white crosses:
a. Cut 4, ¾” x 7” strips of paper. Glue 2 strips together at right angles to create a cross. Make a second cross then glue the centers of both crosses together to create the pattern for white felt.
NOTE: Felt strips can be cut individually, but layering strips on top of each other would make the front of the heart very bulky.
b. Cut 2, ½” x 7” and 2, ¼” x 7” strips of paper. Glue the narrow strips together at the center to create a cross, then create a cross with the wider strips. Glue the crosses together at the center to create the pattern for red felt.
*If you have a Cricut Maker, you can create these designs in Cricut Design Space. Select the square from the “shapes” menu. Unlock, to size the strips. Create each strip in the sizes listed then attach and weld. Cut using the rotary blade and pink, fabric mat. The heart shape can also be cut in Cricut Design Space.
3. Cut two, 6” x 5” hearts from Royal blue felt.
Download the pattern here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tpkuvN2HVOQmLGy2D7s91vpEo6_HaIYB/view?usp=sharing
4. Center then glue the white felt cut out on top of one heart shape. Center, then glue the red felt shape on top of the white. Trim the ends of the strips even with the edge of the heart.
5. Embellish the heart.
Using white thread, sew the pearl trim on top of the white felt along the edges of the red felt.
6. Sew the hearts together about 1/8” from the edge. Leave a space at the bottom then stuff with filling. When finished, stitch the opening closed.
7. Stitch the tassel at the bottom of the heart and a loop of gold cord at the top. Tie a small bow with the gold cord then stitch to the top of the heart.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classic felt and Kunin® Premium felt non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.