So many times creative and thoughtful people make adorable hats and blankets to donate for babies, to hospitals and shelters. Recently our Girl Scout troop was asked to make something that would be comforting for toddlers, but not stuffed animals or pillows. We came up with the idea of texture toys and have made our first one. The toy is soft and has a crinkle petal along with some textured felt and grosgrain ribbon. It is super darling and easy to make.
Skill Level: Beginner (with basic sewing skills)
Time: 1-2 Hours
- 9” x 12” craft cuts Kunin Classicfelt, Corduroy and/or Printed: Six assorted colors
- 3 yards Grosgrain Ribbon
- Petal and Polka Dot Pattern
- Crinkle Paper (5 inch square)
- Long Straight Pins
- Sewing Machine and coordinating thread
1. Cut two nine inch squares for the base front and back of your toy. They can be the same or different colors. Cut out circles from a corresponding felt color using the circles on the pattern.
2. Sew the circles to the base pieces, only in the centers. Leave the edges for the kids to play with and rub.
3. Cut our petals using the pattern. If you want your toy to have a crinkle element to it, sew two petals together with crinkle paper in between using a big zig zag stitch.
4. Lay your petals, leaves and ribbon loops to set up what you want your toy to look like when it is completed.
5. Flip all of the pieces so they face the center of the base and pin them in place. Refer to photo.
6. Put your other base face in on top and sew around the edges leaving a three inch opening. Flip the toy right-side out and pin the opening closed. Remove all of the pins.
7. Sew the opening shut on the sewing machine. You will have a completed toy with texture petals.
I am sure that these would be great for boys and girls alike. Because there are not any sewn on parts, there isn’t anything to choke on so they are safe. I am so excited to make lots and lots of them with the girl scout troop for donating.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Cheers to Making a Difference!