By Laura Bray
Summer and strawberries just go together. These felt strawberries will make darling decorations for this season. Pile them in a basket, use them as pincushions, or string them onto baker’s twine to create a unique banner.
Skill Level: Beginner
Completion Time: 1-2 hours
- 1 sheets of 12” x 18” Premium Felt in Red
- 1 sheet of 9” x 12” White Dot Coordinates in Red
- 1 sheet of 9” x 12” Corduroy in Pirate Green
- Strawberry Pattern by Laura Bray
- Embroidery needle and floss
- Fairfield Poly-fil®
- Pipe cleaners in brown and/or green
- Craft glue
1. Use the Strawberry Pattern to cut out strawberry shapes from the Red and the Red & White Polka dot felts. Each strawberry is quick and easy to make, so make a couple!
2. Fold the strawberry piece in half, right sides facing (for polka dot) felt. Whip stitch the edges together, leaving the top open.
3. Turn strawberry right side out and fill with Poly-fil®.
4. Hold the filling down and sew a running stitch around the top edge of the strawberry. Pull tight and tie to close the opening.
5. Cut out the leaf pattern from the green Corduroy felt. Snip a small opening in the center of the leaf piece. Stitch onto the top of the strawberry, covering the closure.
6. Cut a 1” piece of pipe cleaner and put a drop of glue on the end. Slide the pipe cleaners into the slit of the leaf and push through into the strawberry to create a stem.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
About Designer Laura Bray
Laura Bray lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband, their daughter, and a guinea pig named Oreo. She loves to create beautiful and functional projects with felt. To see more of her felt creations, visit her blog at www.laurabraydesigns.com. You can also find her on Instagram at www.instagram.com/laurakbray.