Outdoor celebrations in the summertime are festive and fun. Creating decorations is easy peasy and only requires a few supplies. This garland and oversized cactus are perfect for a country western party. The garland is big and bright so adds lots of color to the scene. The cactus make a great decoration but an even better prop for a photo booth! The best thing about this combination is that it is going to make a smashing booth for next year’s Girl Scout cookie season!
Skill Level: Beginner (with basic sewing skills)
Time: 2-3 Hours
- 1 yard Kunin Premiumfelt: Red (Bandanna Flag Garland)
- 1 1/2 yards Kunin Premiumfelt: Apple Green (Cactus)
- 9” x 12” craft cuts Kunin Corduroy Felt: 2 Pirate Green
- 2 yards of 6” width Burlap Ribbon
- 8 Bandannas
- Sewing Machine and coordinating thread (Fabric glue could be also used)
- 2 lbs Poly-fil
- Scissors, pins, pencil, paper, chalk, needle and thread
1. Cut the flag pieces for your garland. Create a template from a twelve inch wide piece of paper by folding it in half and cutting off the edges of the sides. This will determine how slanted the bottom of your flags will be.
2. Make your template smaller by cutting it 1” smaller on all sides. Refer to photo.
3. Cut bandannas using this paper pattern.
4. Sew the bandanna pieces to the red felt flags on the sewing machine. Place on burlap ribbon spacing equally. Fold the burlap ribbon over the tops of the flag pieces and pin in place. Top stitch across top of garland.
5. To make a giant cactus, refer to photo. Fold felt in half lengthwise and draw cactus shape approximately three to four feet tall. Have fun with your shape.
6. Cut around the chalk outline leaving an extra 2”. (This makes it easier to sew with a larger border around edges.) Pin pieces together and sew along chalk line leaving a 6” opening along bottom. Trim around seam.
7. Turn cactus through opening. Stuff it with Poly-Fil and hand stitch the bottom closed.
8. Cut green triangles of corduroy felt to create the needles.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Cheers to Celebrating Friendship and the Outdoors,