By Julie McGuffee
Whether the month of March arrives like a lion or a lamb, it heralds St. Patrick’s day and all the fun that goes along with it. There’s always a reason to celebrate each month of the year, so let’s start this month with a simple candle collar and placemat, then we’ll add more. They are really simple to make using your Cricut® Maker to cut the intricate designs and you’ll have them finished in no time at all.
- Kunin Classics™ Felt 9”x 12” – Apple Green (one for each mat)
- Kunin Friendly Glitter Felt 9”x 12” – Apple Green
- Kunin Premium Felt 12” x 18” – White (one for each mat)
- Chenille glitter stems
- Adhesive backed acrylic jewels – green
- Extra strong glue dots
- Fabric glue
- LED Pillar Candle
- Empty plastic bottle (large enough for an LED candle to slip inside).
- Patterns: Shamrock Plain, Shamrock, Simple Heart, Shamrock-Large
Instructions – Placemat:
1. Cut one 8” x 8”, filigree shamrock shape from green classic felt using the rotary blade on the default setting. Place the felt horizontally on the mat and you will be able to add 3 simple heart shapes, which can be used to make Shamrocks.
2. Carefully pull the felt surrounding the shapes off the mat then weed the filigree shape.
3. Cut one 9” x 9”, large shamrock shape from white premium felt using the rotary blade with more pressure.
4. Position, then glue the green filigree shamrock on top of the white shamrock and voilà, your placemat is finished.
5. Place 3 or more together for a table runner, or use individually as needed.
Instuctions – Candle Collar:
2. Cut from premium white felt using the rotary blade with more pressure. Remove the felt from around the border then gently weed. You can weed while the felt is still on the mat, or remove it first.
3. Cut one strip of green glitter felt about 4 ¼” x 11”, wrap around the candle, overlap then glue the ends.
4. Cut the top off the plastic bottle to reduce the height to 4” then use glue dots to attach the shamrock border to the outside of the bottle. You will only need one dot at the center of each shamrock and one at each end. Add a green jewel to the center of each shamrock shape.
Note: You don’t have to use the plastic bottle, but if you do, you have the option to fill it with candy instead of a candle. I also like the way it looks.
Instructions – Shamrocks:
1. If you cut the extra hearts, you can use these to make shamrocks.
2. Fold each heart in half lengthwise, stack 3 then pinch together at the bottom.
3. Wrap chenille stem around the ends to hold them together. It’s fun to make a bunch and add an extra heart to one of them for luck!
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields
and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.