It’s summer and that means it’s time for picnics in the park, trips to the baseball park, and outdoor concerts. Which also means you are going to be sitting on hard, dirty picnic benches, bleachers, and grass. Give yourself the gift of luxury and whip a few of these DIY Felt Sit Upons. Made of three layers of Kunin Eco-FiPlus™ Felt , these cute sit upons will keep your “seat” clean and dry. Kunin felt is mold and mildew resistant, so even if they get a little damp, they’ll be fine.
- Kunin Eco-FiPlus™ Felt in your choice of prints and/or colors , cut accordingly (per sit upon):
- Two (2) 3 x 12 inch strips of felt
- One (1) 9 x 12 inch piece of felt
- Two (2) 14.5 x 12 inch pieces of felt
- Sewing machine and sewing supplies
1.) Pin the 3” strips of felt to either side of the 9 X 12 inch piece, right sides facing. This is where you can get creative! Mix and match colors (your favorite sports team?) and patterns. I mixed and matched white felt with Kunin Eco-Fi Printz™ Felt in Tangerine Flock. Sew together with a ¼” seam allowance. Finger press the seam.
2.) Make a quilt sandwich:
- Bottom layer: 14.5 x 12 inch felt
- Middle layer: 14.5 x 12 inch felt*
- Top layer: The decorative piece you just sewed. Pin together.
3.) Sew around the outside of the sandwich, then stitch in the ditch between the 3” strips and the main piece.
4.) Trim any excess felt around the edges.
5.) Keep a set of these in your car and you’ll always have a warm, dry, spot to “sit upon”!
*For extra comfort you can also insert some fluffy batting into the middle of the sandwich in lieu of the middle piece of felt.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt; Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.