By Katie Berry
I’ve always liked booked covers. I remember using brown paper bags from the grocery store and taping them to cover of my school textbooks. The fun part would be decorating them with markers and pens. Recently I decided to deepen my faith and I am reading my Bible along with my daily devotional. I decided to make a Felt Bible Cover for my very own Bible.
- 12” x 18” craft cuts of Kunin Premium Felt: (2) Smoke
- 9” x 12” craft cut of Kunin Classics Felt: (1) Prickly Purple
- Cutting Mat, Cutting Ruler and a Rotary Cutter
- Sewing Machine, Thread
- Book (mine just happens to be the Bible)
Time: 1 hour
Here is how to make it:
1. Using a book or your Bible, measure how long you need to cut your first piece of felt. Fold the felt around the book. This will need to cover the entire outside of the book, leaving about .25-.5” around the edge.
2. Once you know what your measurements are, cut your first piece of felt. Mine was 9.5” by 14”.
3. Then cut two pieces for the inside flaps that will hold your book in place. Mine were 4” by 9.5”.
4. Using the Bible or book again, find the center of the 9.5” x 14” piece and mark it. Do this step on the inside so that it’s not very visible.
5. With a ruler and marker measure and cut a strip of Prickly Purple felt. Use a template or draw free hand initials. Cut out the cross strip pieces and initials for the cover.
6. Bring out the sewing machine and sew the cross and initials on the front. (Fabric glue could also be used in this step.)
7. Once everything is sewn on the front, pin the flaps to the back of the 9.5” x 14” piece of felt. Pin one to each side.
8. To give it a finished look, use a top stitch around the entire cover. (Optional or hand stitch.)
9. When it is all sewn, insert the cover and the back of book into the inside flaps of the felt cover.
10. It is now complete and ready to use!
I hope that you like this easy Felt Bible Cover. You could make your own for any of your favorite books and you could decorate the front any way you’d like.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.