I love holidays, the 4th of July is coming up so I am decorating with red, white and blue everywhere! I wanted to use my collection of white glass vases and bottles as part of the festive décor. The artist canvas flag creates a center focal point and the banner finishes off the look. Of course then the chair looked bare so a quick pillow cover for an existing pillow adds the finishing touch!
Here is what you need:
- 12” x 16” Artist Canvas
- 1/2 yd of cut by the yard Kunin Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt, White
- 9” x 12” craft cuts Kunin Eco-fi™ Prestofelt, 3 Red, 2 White, 1 Royal Blue
- 9” x 12” craft cuts Kunin Eco-fi™ Classicfelt, 2 Royal Blue
- 2 yds of ¼” Polka Dot Blue Ribbon www.offray.com
- 6-1/4” Buttons, Red
- Star Diecut www.sizzix.com
- Fabri-tac Adhesive www.beaconadhesives.com
- Scissors, paper, pencil, chalk, ruler, Big Shot
- Flag Pattern
1. Cut a 16” by 20” piece of white felt. Center canvas front side down on white felt piece. Glue each of the four sides alternating sides and pulling felt tight.
2. Squeeze a little extra glue into the corners between the felt. Press sides together. Trim off excess for a neat corner finish.
3. From the royal blue Prestofelt cut a 6” by 7” piece for flag. On back of the red Prestofelt pieces draw 1” lines. Cut along these lines to make the stripes.
4. Peel off backing and place royal blue piece in upper corner. Begin placing red stripes at bottom of canvas. Use paper backing from stripes to as markers to evenly space stripes. Cut extra pieces to finish stripes across the entire length of canvas.
5. From the white Prestofelt pieces die cut stars. Add stars to the royal blue section of the flag.
6. Refer to the photo to cut the banner pieces, two royal blue and two white. Cut each full banner 9” by 10”. Measurements given are for the banner half, draw with chalk or pencil, repeat for the second half, cut out.
7. Add stars with button centers to royal blue banner pieces. Add red stripes to the white banner pieces. Glue banner pieces to polka dot ribbon spacing about 3” apart.
I have to admit the pillow is a bit of a cheat. I took an existing pillow and just covered the front. I used the Eco-fi™ Prestofelt in Royal Blue and Red. I cut two 9” squares of each, peeled the backing off and pressed securely to the front of the pillow. I added some left over die cut white stars. The Prestofelt will peel off easily once the 4th celebrations are over.
If you enjoyed these 4th of July projects you might also like to dress up your celebrating with these patriotic coasters. http://kuninfelt.wpengine.com/2014/06/05/diy-patriotic-coasters/ Here is another easy banner for the 4th, http://kuninfelt.wpengine.com/2015/05/14/patriotic-felt-garland/
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt; Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is
available in your area.
Thank you for stopping by!