October 31st is also Dia de Muertos, Day of the Dead, a holiday celebrated in Mexico and other South American countries. Maybe this is the year to think beyond ghoulies & ghosties & long legged beasties and learn about a new tradition.
Skill Level for this project: Beginner
Time to complete: 2-3 hours
You will need:
• Kunin® Glitter Friendly Felt, 9” x 12” – Black & White
• Kunin® Classic Felt, 9” x 12” – Candy Pink, Yellow & Lagoon
• Cricut® Maker™ with Rotary blade
• Sugar Skull & Daisy patterns
• Pink fabric mat
• Plaid® Mulit Surface paint – Bright Pink, Yellow & Aqua
• Smoothfoam™ disk – 10” x 1”
• Black glitter, wired deco mesh
• Nylon paint brush (for fabric)
• Floral pins
• Sequin pins
• Assorted, adhesive acrylic jewels
• ¼” ribbon – yellow, pink & aqua
1. Upload the skull and daisy artwork to Cricut Design Space.
2. Size the skull to 7” then cut from white glitter felt using the “Felt, acrylic” setting in the materials list with “more” pressure. Note: For step by step instructions on how to size and cut in design space, see previous projects featured at the beginning of each month, here on the Kunin blog.
3. Carefully remove the skull and all the small, cut out pieces from the mat (except for the teeth and small circles) then place onto the black glitter felt.
4. Paint the small pieces as shown. Let dry then push each small piece back into the sugar skull opening.
5. Cut the black glitter felt to fit on top of the foam disc. Glue, or hold in place with a few sequin pins around the edge. Finger ruffle the deco mesh, then use the floral pins to secure around the outer edge of the disc.
6. Glue the sugar skull to the disc then add adhesive jewels to the circle openings. Cut ribbon into 12” pieces (2 of each color), knot one of each color together at the center then secure to each side of the skull with a sequin pin.
7. Cut 3 sizes of the daisy pattern, 3”, 2 ½” & 1 ¾” then layer to make one flower. You will need one pink flower, 2 yellow and 2 aqua flowers. Pin the flowers to the disc at the top of the skull to finish then add an adhesive jewel at the center.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classic felt; Kunin® Premium felt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.