Kunin Felt has been a proud supporter of Charity Wings Art Center for several years. This past weekend we supported a very special event. I designed this Monster Stuffie, sewed up thirteen along with all the pieces and sent them to Charity Wings. Saturday twelve homeless children in the San Diego area were treated to free dental care and while in the waiting room made these toothy grinned monsters.
This is an easy and fun project for kids to make and personalize. The heart on the back can be made into a pocket to be a tooth monster fairy pillow. Sewing it up in several bright colors and using scraps for the eyes and hearts plus fun buttons gives the kids lots of choices.
Skill Level: Basic
Time: 1 Hour
You will need:
9” x 12” craft cuts of Kunin® Classicfelt or Premiumfelt: 1 piece per monster
2 oz. Polyester stuffing
Scissors, Sharpie, chalk, sewing machine and matching thread
Download PDF pattern DQ Monster Doll.
1. Download and print pattern. Cut out pieces.
2. Fold felt craft cut in half and draw monster on felt with Sharpie or chalk. Cut out other pieces from scrap felt.
3. Sew around monster inside drawn line. TIP: This can also be glued or hand sewn. Trim around body leaving 1/8” beyond sewing line.
4. Cut a 2” slit in back of monster. Stuff firmly. Use large heart to cover opening and glue. Add another heart over top of the back heart leaving open at top to make pocket.
5. Flip over monster. Draw a mouth with Sharpie. Glue eyes, teeth and heart in place. Glue on button eyes.
6. Sewing this bunch of Monsters in Kunin’s bright colors as you can see makes for a variety of creative fun! Check out our FB page this week for photos from the event. Meanwhile I have a new guy hanging out in my studio! Making these with my grandlittles this week.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Follow along with us on Instagram @kuninfeltbrand!