By Katie Berry
The new school year is soon to be here. My kids actually start this week since they go to a year round school. I have two boys that are baseball obsessed and love all things baseball. This baseball zipper pencil pouch is perfect for the new school year.
Skill Level: Beginner + Basic Sewing Skills
Completion Time: 1-2 hours
- 1 – ½ yard from a bolt of Kunin Premium in White
- 1 – 9” Zipper in White
- 1 – Cutting Mat
- 1 – Rotary Cutter
- 1 – Cutting Ruler
- 1 – Bottle Red Fabric Paint
- 1 – Black Marker
- White Thread
1. Cut two 9.5” x 7” rectangles of the white felt.
2. Pin the zipper to one of the 9.5” sides. Sew the zipper in place. TIP: Make sure your zipper is face up.
3. Sew the other rectangle to the other side of the zipper.
4. Now it’s time to sew the pouch closed. Put the two sides together with the zipper on the inside. This essentially looks like the pouch is inside out. Sew the three edges together. TIP: Make sure to unzip the zipper a few inches so that you can turn the pouch right side out.
5. Once you are done sewing up the edges, turn the pouch right side out through the zipper.
6. Using a black marker, draw two curved lines.
7. Then using the fabric paint, add the v’s to resemble the stitches of a baseball. I only used the fabric paint on one side of the pouch but you could add it to the other side too once the front side dries.
8. Let the fabric paint dry and then it’s ready for the kiddos to use.
Any baseball loving kid would love this adorable homemade pencil pouch to show all of their friends. You could also make it look like other sports balls. Kunin Felt has a wide variety of colors. Orange for a basketball, brown for a football, and yellow for a softball.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
A Sweet Berry Designs
FB: A Sweet Berry Designs