By Laura Bray
Skill Level: Beginner
Completion Time: 1 hour
Time for some wearable art. I love to make felt jewelry. They are little pieces of artwork you can take with you anywhere. This bird brooch can be pinned to a jacket, sweater, tote bag, or even a hat.
The best part is that it’s so easy to make!
- 12” X 18” craft cuts of Kunin Premium Felt Lagoon, White, and Yellow
- Bird Badge Pattern by Laura Bray Designs (Download)
- Embroidery needle and floss
- Small scissors
Use the Bird Badge pattern to cut out felt shapes:
- Cut one oval from the Lagoon felt
- Cut one oval from the Yellow felt
- Cut one bird shape from the White felt
- Place the felt bird shape in the center of the Lagoon felt. Use a running stitch to attach it.
- Scatter seed stitches, in yellow embroidery floss, around the bird shape.
- Stitch the flower motif onto the bird. I used the Lazy Daisy stitch for the bird and the Stem Stitch for flower stem. Add an eye and beak onto the bird in black floss.
- Place the yellow oval onto the back side of the blue oval and use a running stitch to connect the pieces.
Stitch a pin back onto the back of the oval.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Plush felt fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
About Designer Laura Bray
Laura Bray lives in the Pacific Northwest with her husband, their daughter, and a guinea pig named Oreo. She loves to create beautiful and functional projects with felt. To see more of her felt creations, visit her blog at www.laurabraydesigns.com. She also collects felt craft projects on her Pinterest board at https://www.pinterest.com/laurabraydesigns/felt-crafts/