By Julie McGuffee
Make yourself this handy dandy cell phone pouch and you’ll never have to dig around in your purse, or shopping bag to find your phone!
Whether you’re grocery shopping, riding a bike, or simply taking a walk, keep your cell phone handy and easily accessible with a small pouch to hang around your neck, or across your shoulder. Not just for a cell phone, it’s also handy for credit cards, business cards and more!
Skill Level for this project: Beginner
Time to complete: 3 hours
You will need:
• Kunin® Eco fi Plus Premium Felt, 9” x 12” – Kelly Green
• Kunin® Eco fi Classic Felt, 9” x 12” – Apple Green
• Kunin® Corduroy (or Classic) Felt, 9” x 12” – Cashmere Tan
• Kunin® Corduroy Felt, 9” x 12” – Walnut (small scrap)
• Cricut® Maker™ with Rotary blade
• Pink fabric mat
• Burlap ribbon – 1 yd x ½”, or cord
• Embroidery floss – Dark Brown
• Embroidery needle
• Glue gun & lo-temp glue sticks
• 2 Buttons
1. Cut* 2 hearts from Kelly Green felt: one each, 1 ¾” x 2 ½” and 2 ¾” x 3”. Cut one, 2 ¼” x 2 ¾” heart from Apple Green. *I sized and cut the heart shapes with the Cricut Maker using the acrylic felt setting and rotary blade. You can also adjust the size of any heart pattern and cut shapes with scissors.
2. Cut the 9” x 12” piece of Cashmere Tan felt in half, lengthways. Fold in half to create a 4 ½” x 6” pouch. With one end against the fold, sandwich the ribbon between the sides. Stitch the sides and ribbon together with embroidery floss using a simple running (up and down) stitch.
3. Stitch a button at the top as an embellishment and for additional security. Designer Note: DO NOT CUT THE RIBBON.
4. With the opposite end of the ribbon against the fold, sew the opposite sides of the pouch together with the ribbon sandwiched between. Stitch a button at the top edge. OPTION: You can also glue the sides together with lo-temp glue if you don’t like to sew.
4. Glue a small, a 2” X ½”, rectangle of dark brown felt (tree trunk) to the center front of the pouch, with one end aligned with the fold. Starting with the largest heart on top of the trunk, glue the hearts in place as shown with each one overlapping the other, the smallest at the top.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classic felt and Kunin® Premium felt non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.