It’s Fall Y’all!
Whether you’re decorating for the changing seasons or an upcoming holiday, make it easy with a variety of custom pillow wraps! Just add felt shapes to bands of cloth then wrap around your favorite pillow until it’s time to re-decorate! Adding a decorative touch to your home has never been so easy!
Skill Level for this project: Beginner +
Time to complete: 3-4 hours
You will need:
● Kunin® Corduroy Felt, 9” x 12” – Walnut & Cashmere Tan
● Kunin® Classic Felt, 9” x 12” – Orange & Pumpkin Spice
● Cricut® Maker™ with Rotary blade
● Pumpkin & Leaf patterns
● Pink fabric mat
● Embroidery floss – Dark Brown, Light Tan & Sage Green
● Canvas drop cloth
● Embroidery Needle
● 5/8” Button
● Pillow with a plain cover in a neutral color
1. Unfold the drop cloth then cut a piece about 15” wide piece, long enough to wrap around the center of the pillow, plus about 4” to overlap at the back. Press to remove any wrinkles, then fold and press under about 1 ½” along each edge.
2. Upload the pumpkin and leaf artwork to Cricut Design Space. Note: The leaf pattern is a jpeg, so you will need to delete the white background during the upload process.
3. Size each design to fit within a 4” square, then cut 2 pumpkins from Pumpkin Spice and 2 leaves from Orange felt using the “Felt, acrylic” setting in the materials list with “more” pressure. Note: For step by step instructions on how to size and cut in design space, see previous projects featured at the beginning of each month, here on the Kunin blog.
4. Carefully remove the cut pieces from the mat and set aside.
5. Cut two, 4” x 4” squares from Cashmere Tan and two, 4” x 4” squares from Walnut corduroy felt.
6. Using 3 strands of dark brown embroidery floss and a simple running stitch, sew the pumpkin shapes to the Cashmere Tan corduroy felt squares and the leaves to the Walnut corduroy squares. Replace the stem on the pumpkin with a piece of brown felt. Add a bow to the base of the stem with the green floss.
7. Wrap the band around the pillow then position the squares on the front. Mark placement with pins. Remove the band from the pillow then stitch the squares in place on the front of the band.
8. Stitch the button to the center of the 4 squares with green floss.
OPTION: Stitch or glue a strips of walnut corduroy felt along the edges of the band if desired. Use the ridges in the felt as a guide for cutting: 3 ridges = about ¾”.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classic felt; Kunin® Premium felt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.