How did you spend Earth Day? Several of us on the Kunin Team were outside cleaning up yards and getting ready for gardening! Felt makes a great ground cover, just cut to size and lay over the earth. Cut holes for plants and cover felt with mulch. I used black felt to match my dark garden mulch.
Since it is now officially spring, and we are celebrating Earth Day all month I created a “Hello” Spring pillow recycling a pillow form I removed from an outdated pillow. With words and writing a very popular trend I used a simple stencil to add “Hello” to my pillow.
With the manufacturing process creating a felt that is very sturdy, colorfast and weather resistant, this pillow can be used indoors or outside on the porch by the front door.
You will need:
- 18” x 20” pillow form (this size can be adapted to a 16” or 18” square pillow form)
- 12” x 18” craft cuts of Kunin® Premiumfelt: 4 Ocean Blue
- Hello stencil by Art Minds available at Michaels
- White, cream acrylic paint
- Scissors, ruler, pins, stencil brush, paper plate, paper towel, tape, sewing machine and matching thread.
1. Tape stencil to center of one craft cut.
2. Place a small amount of cream and white paint on the paper plate. (I mixed the colors slightly for dimension.)
3. Dip the round stencil brush into the cream then the white. Use the paper towel to remove most of the paint. (Stencilling is done with this dry brush technique.) Begin by stencilling with a circular motion along the edges of the stencil moving towards the center. Repeat step with paint to complete the whole word. Let dry. If you want letters more pronounced repeat and place a second layer of paint. If gives a dimensional appearance to the letters.
4. Cut two pieces 4” by 18” from a second craft cut. Place each piece on either long end of the “Hello” piece. Sew a 1/8” seam on either side. This completes the front of the pillow.
5. Overlap the two remaining craft cuts to make an 18” by 20” rectangle. This will create an envelope pocket back opening.
6. Place front right side down on top of back pieces. Pin pieces together. Sew ¼” seam around all four sides. Clip threads and corners. Turn right side out. Insert pillow form through opening at back of pillow.
Now place your pillow and enjoy! Stencil a few more with other special words like Home, Welcome or your family name. This is a great way to recycle out dated pillows. The premium is a heavier weight and will cover any color of pillow even if you need to recycle a black or floral pillow form.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and Corduroy non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.