By Katie Berry
Winter is here and it is quite cold here in North Carolina! Even though I’m not much for the cold weather, I love Ice Skating. Thankfully, due to an inside skating rink, we can skate all year. I decided to make a cute little wintery pillow! I found inspiration for this Ice Skating Girls Pillow from a Christmas ornament that my husband’s grandmother made long ago.
- 12” x 18” craft cut of Premiumfelt (2) Lagoon
- 9” x 12” craft cut of Classicfelt (1) Minty
- 9” x 12” craft cut of Corduroyfelt (1) White
- 9” x 12” craft cut of Coordinatesfelt (1) Silver Dot on White, (1) White Dot on Baby Pink, (1) Metallic Dot of Black
- Cut of 45″ x 10 yards bolt of Plushfelt White
- Ice Skating Girls Pattern
- Heat Press or Iron
- Heat ‘n’ Bond
- Sewing Machine with thread
- Pillow Stuffing
- Cutting Board, Ruler, Rotary Cutter
- Thin wire
How I made it:
1. I made a pattern from the pattern that my husband’s grandmother made long ago. I created one for the little girl and then made a larger one for the other girl. Then I cut them out.
2. Deciding on how much felt I would need, I cut pieces of Heat ‘n’ Bond to fit that amount. I didn’t want to have too much felt left with Heat ‘n’ Bond on it.
3. Using my Cricut Heat Press, I adhered the Heat ‘n’ Bond to the back of the felt. Then I cut out the pieces of my girls.
4. I cut the (2) 12” x 18” craft cuts of Lagoon to 12” x 12”.
5. Then I cut the Plush Felt to 5” x 12”, giving it a wave look at the top.
6. I adhered Heat ‘n’ Bond to back of the white Plush Felt and used the Heat Press to adhere it to the bottom of the pillow.
7. Once the “ice” was bonded to the background, I laid out how I wanted the girls to be on the pillow.
8. Using scissors, I cut 4 pieces of thin wire for the skates. I placed these under the boots, so that once the boots were adhered to the ice, the wires would be trapped underneath the Heat ‘n’ Bond.
9. Once everything was in place, I used the Cricut Heat Press to adhere everything to the pillow background.
10. I placed the front and the back of the pillow together and pinned it. Using the sewing machine and doing a top stitch, I sewed it together, leaving a hole to add the stuffing.
11. I stuffed the pillow and then finished sewing it up!
Below is the exact ornament that I got my inspiration from!
Hope that you like this adorable Ice Skating Girls Pillow. It makes me think about going Ice Skating and being nice and cozy!
I hope that everyone has Happy Holidays and is looking forward to the New Year!