Being a Girl Scout leader takes a lot of organization and structure, not only for me but to create for the girls. When the girls show up at meetings and events with everything they need, they feel prepared and things are far more successful for them, and for the troop. I created a meeting portfolio bag that is the perfect size for holding the necessary items to bring to meetings. It is fairly simple to make and at the Cadette level and up, they should be able to make the bags themselves.
You will need the following materials to complete this project:
- 12” x 18” craft cuts of Kunin Premiumfelt: 2 (cut a 12” x 16” and a 12” x 10” piece.)
- 9” x 12” craft cuts of Kunin Classicfelt: variety of colors to create embellishments.
- Sewing Machine or Needle and Thread
- Buttons, Pom Pom Garland, Etc. (optional)
- Ribbon (36 inches long)
1. Begin by sewing embellishment pieces where you would like them to be. If you want a name across the bottom, it would be sewn on the smaller piece. If you want a decorative felt design on the flap, it would be sewn to the bottom of the larger piece so it will end up on the flap when it folds. This frog and these letters were made with dies from Ellison Education/Sizzix.
2. Once your embellishments are sewn to the large pieces, it is time to sew your bag together. If you are adding a pom-pom trim, it is recommended that you pin it all together before sewing to keep it in place.
3. Sew the three outer sides of the smaller piece to the larger leaving the opening at the top.
4. Sew your ribbon with the center to the center of the flap all the way across.
5. The ribbon will wrap around and tie in the back.
The completed bag is the perfect size to hold a journal, a calendar and a Girl Scout Journey guidebook.
If your girls need larger sized bags, you could use this idea and make it bigger. Additionally, pockets could be added as well as a handle. Because we have larger bags already, this piece is a great insert to keep these most necessary items organized and easy to grab when needed.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin® Classicfelt; Kunin® Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Cheers to Organized Girl Scouts,