Sharing more from creative teachers and #Classroomswithfelt. . How cute is this trio of Halloween characters!
I am sharing another one of the projects designed by teacher John Lavelle. Halloween is by far his most favorite time of the year; he cannot get enough of it. He says “these felt character cones are fun to make and what’s cool is that they can be displayed separately or stacked.”
- 1/3 yd cut by the yard Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt™, Orange
- 9” x 12” Craft cuts of Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt™, 3 Black, 2 White
- Papier mâché or styrofoam cones, 8”, 10” 12”
- Pencil/white colored pencil
- Fabric scissors
- Fabric glue/fabric spray glue
- Embroidery floss
- Embroidery needle
- Hot glue
- Paper cake plate
1. For the large jack-o-lantern begin by making a small mark with a pencil on the inside of the cone. Lay the cone on a piece of orange felt. Trace one side of the cone and then began to roll the cone carefully tracing the bottom. The mark will indicate that you’ve rolled the cone one full rotation. This is the pattern, cut it out using the fabric scissors. It’ll look like a triangle with a rounded bottom edge.
2. Cut strips of yellowish orange embroidery floss the length of the cone. Spray them with a fabric spray glue. Press on the felt. Cut the face out of black felt. Use the Internet for reference for a jack-o-lantern face. Glue face pieces to cone.
3. For the jack-o-lantern’s hat, trace the middle sized cone and made a cone pattern from black felt just like the jack-o-lantern pattern. Use a paper cake plate to trace a circle and the bottom of the middle cone to create the brim of the hat. Stitch the cone and the brim together using embroidery floss.
4. For the ghost cut out various shapes to create the face and adhere. The arms are stitched on at the top. The trick or treat bag is two small pieces of felt stitched together.
5. For the cat cut out various shapes to create the face and use embroidery floss for details.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt; Eco-fi Plus™ Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.
Thank you for John for the fun projects! Check out our Facebook page for all the details for #Classroomswithfelt along with an awesome give away! www.facebook.com/Kunin-Felt-[Products