By Laura Bray
Elephants are my daughter’s favorite animal right now so, for today’s tutorial, I thought I would share a cute elephant softie I created just for her.
- 1 yard Eco-fi Plus™ Premium Felt in Charcoal or Smoke
- ¼ yard Eco-fi™ Printzfelt™ in Paisley
- Scrap piece of Eco-fi Plus™ Premium Felt in Violet Sky
- Eudora the Elephant pattern pieces
- Basic sewing supplies.
- Die cut, felt flowers and buttons. (Optional)
1.) Lay-out pattern pieces on gray felt. Pin in place and then cut out. Cut 2 main elephant pieces, 2 saddles, four large ears. (Each piece should print out on an 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper: Elephant Pattern 1, Elephant Pattern 2, Elephant Pattern 3, Elephant pattern 4)
2. Cut the small ears pieces out of the Printzfelt™.
3. Lay a small ear piece over the large piece. Stitch in place. Repeat for other ear.
4. Stitch a second large piece onto the back of the decorate piece. This will add give the ears some body and heft.
5. Cut a piece of rectangle of purple felt, measuring 5.75” x 1.5”. Cut fringe along one edge.
6. Stitch the fringe piece along the long edge of the saddle blanket. Repeat for other side.
7. Stitch the saddle blanket onto the back of the elephant pieces, one on each side.
8. Stitch the ears on the elephant pieces.
9. Pin the elephant pieces together with the right sides (the sides with the ears and saddle blankets) together.
10. The ears will stick-out a bit, so use that area as the starting and stopping point when sewing.
11. Once you are done sewing around the edges of the elephant pieces (1/4” seam please!), turn the elephant out via the hole you left for the ears.
12. Stuff the elephant, then hand-stitch the opening closed.
13. Add felt flowers for additional embellishment.
You can find other cute projects like this one on my blog.
You can now find an expanded color line of Kunin Eco-fi Classicfelt; Eco-fiPlus™ Premiumfelt and ShaggiChic non-wovens fabrics in cut by the yard at your local Walmart; please inquire as to what is available in your area.